Enrollment expo saturday, jan. 29, 2022
Tulsa Public Schools is hosting 3 enrollment expos to help you find the right school for your child. Each expo has a hub site with food, information, resources, and transportation to each school. We'll be hosting small group tours every 30 minutes so you and your child can learn more about our school and get to know our teachers and staff!
Our expo date is Saturday, Jan. 29, 2022, from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Our hub is the Tulsa Tech Peoria Campus, 3850 N. Peoria Ave.
North Star Academy
525 East 46th Street N
Tulsa, OK 74126
Principal: Dixie Speer
At a glance
Our mission is to inspire and prepare every student to love learning, achieve ambitious goals, and make positive contributions to the world.
At North Star Academy, our mission is to inspire and prepare every student to love learning, achieve ambitious goals, and make positive contributions to the world. North Star Academy provides an alternative approach to learning through project based learning or online learning. We do this with two different programs at North Star Academy.
North Star Beyond: Project Based Learning
- Students who need freedom from the social pressure of high school but still crave social interaction in a smaller setting.
- Students who want to minimize exposure to negative interactions.
- Students who want supportive relationships with adults and peers.
- Students who enjoy hands-on, collaborative, interactive learning projects.
- Students who prefer smaller class sizes.
- Students who enjoy learning outside the walls of school.
- Students who need an abbreviated day at school.
Meaningful Contributors in Tulsa and beyond: We earn respect and give respect. We lead with love and compassion for others. We accept that what we do impacts our neighborhood, country, and world. We take this responsibility with us wherever we go.
Resourceful learners in a rapidly changing world: We have learned how to learn and we use that skill to tackle school and life. We know that lasting success comes from collaboration, so we work to understand ourselves and others. We strive for success, learn from failure, and in all cases, persist. We thrive, even in uncertainty, because opportunity and challenge go hand-in-hand.
Designers of our own life journey: We understand and draw confidence from our identity and worth. We tackle problems and create our own solutions. We take ownership of our life, advocate for ourselves, and follow our imagination. Life is full of surprises, so we are firm in our goals but flexible in our plans.
North Star Academy Online
North Star Academy accepts applications throughout the school year for students in grades 6-12. We have helped thousands of high school students get on track and graduate. At North Star Academy Online, students take one class at a time to gain credits. This allows students to have a laser focus and complete credits quicker than a traditional school.
North Star Academy is proud to offer a different school experience. Students can learn where they want! While the primary mode of instruction is online, our team is dedicated to holding students accountable for being successful by providing one on one assistance and tutoring with coursework. We offer students the opportunity to accelerate graduation and/or recover credits and/or enjoy a flexible school experience. We are committed to cultivating relationships with students by focusing on academic success, career exploration, and celebrations.
at North Star Academy onlinE, students can:
- Take one class at time so they can focus;
- Learn when they want and where they want, even on weekends and holidays;
- Accelerate graduation or catch up on credits easily;
- Meet face to face with experienced teachers who hold certifications in the curriculum delivered for whatever amount of time needed, whenever needed within normal business hours;
- Connect with schools staff onsite for extra content help or college and career planning
- Alternative Approach to Serving Students
- Myths About North Star Academy
- Who is Right for North Star Academy?
North Star Academy offers flexible, personalized learning for students by focusing on relationships and student accountability.
North Star Academy may be an ideal place for students who are not thriving in the traditional school setting. Furthermore, students who want to accelerate credits or may lack credits can find a home at North Star Academy. Students at North Star Academy can earn up to 8 credits (sometimes more if they are motivated) in a regular school year. Most traditional schools are limited to offering 6-7 credits a year.
Teachers are all highly-experienced educators who are advocates for students. They are flexible and open-minded and recognize every student can learn and every student is deserving of a quality education. The environment at North Star Academy is student focused and the friendly, productive atmosphere is grounded in mutual respect.
For each new school year, all current and new North Star Academy students will undergo an intake process. Information gathered at intake will determine each student's schedule. Physical attendance on site daily may be best suited for some students while other students may work more independently. North Star Academy determines each student's schedule to personalize and support students and families.
It is easier than regular school.
Although the schedule may be more flexible, being successful on a digital platform takes drive, motivation, and a tremendous amount of family monitoring and support.
North Star Academy is for “troubled kids."
North Star Academy offers a learning environment that is different and self-paced. We have many students who are gifted and yet find it difficult to be successful in traditional schools.
North Star Academy students do not get socialization.
North Star Academy students may participate in their home schools’ extracurricular activities. Furthermore, our staff is working on partnerships with other alternative schools for special events.
North Star Academy students will be bored working online all the time.
North Star Academy is working toward offering more face-to-face direct instruction for students. So far, the state of Oklahoma has approved us to teach Yoga and the History of Rock & Roll in a different instructional method than online.
- Students who have not been successful in virtual schools;
- Students who want to accelerate graduation;
- Students who need to recover credits;
- Students who may be anxious in a traditional school environment;
- Students not experiencing success in traditional schools;
- Students with medical issues that prevent them from attending school full-time;
- Students who feel bullied or unsafe in traditional schools; and
- Homeschool students.
Dixie Speer received her B.A. in English education in 1996, and her masters in school administration in 2006. She worked at Nathan Hale High School as an instructional facilitator for two years. In 2010, she became the assistant principal at Hale where she worked for three years. She also served as principal at Clinton Middle School before bringing her skills to North Star Academy.