Thirty students attended their summer internship orientation at Wilson Teaching and Learning Academy on Tuesday to prepare for the month ahead.
Through HIRE Up, each student has been paired with an organization to intern with throughout July. These paid internships will allow students to gain crucial work experience as juniors and seniors. The interns work four days a week at their assigned organization and attend professional development sessions at Wilson once a week. The sessions include speakers and group exercises focused on important career skills including time management, communication, self-advocacy, goal setting, financial literacy, and interview prep.
At the orientation, students practiced networking with Dr. Brenda Joy, Human Relations Professor at OU, and learned about professionalism from Brian Worfolk, Director of Batteries at Phillips 66. Students also got advice from Summer Internship Coordinator Abiodun Ajayi, Opportunity Project Program Manager Tiffany Gregory, Leadership Development Coach Jana Rodriguez, and Student Success Coordinator Jamaal Dyer.
"Make sure you take full advantage of this opportunity that is being presented to you," Jamaal told the students. "Make sure you are showing up on time, responding on time. The seeds that you plant now and how you carry yourself now -- you never ever know when you will cross paths with these employers again. You never ever know the opportunities that will derive out of this for you. Do your best in all that you do. Smile, be respectful, be kind."
Tulsa Public Schools partnered with the Opportunity Project and Green Country Workforce to offer this program to students. The organizations hosting students include:
- University of Oklahoma East Asia Institute
- Tulsa Regional STEM Alliance
- Choregus Productions/Choregus Community Outreach
- Fab Lab Tulsa
- Antioch Baptist Church
- Clark Youth Theatre
- Education For Scholars, Inc.
- Dayspring Community Services, a Division of PFH
- Tulsa Children's Museum (Discovery Lab)
- Tulsa Changemakers, a program of Leadership Tulsa
- Tri-City Collective - Focus: Black Oklahoma
- The bART Center for Music
- Soaring Eagles Youth And Family Services
- Philbrook Museum of Art
- Opportunity Tulsa
- One Hope Tulsa
- Humble Warrior Collective
- Girl Scouts of Eastern Oklahoma